When we were all children, there was nothing better than a slice of artificial American cheese between two toasted, buttery pieces of white bread.
As adults, our consumption of these glorious creations are not as they should be. In honor of National Grilled Cheese Day we found a recipe that brings out your inner child with a bit of grown up twist. A classic pairing of wine and cheese combined into a delicious grilled cheese sandwich.
Recipe Provided By - BS’ in the Kitchen
- 2 slices french bread
- 1-2 tbsp butter
- ½ red onion (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- Dash of rosemary
- Dash of thyme
- 1 tbsp flour
- ¾ cup red wine (Cabernet Sauvignon)
- ½ cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- In a pan on medium heat, melt butter.
- Add onion, mixing into butter.
- Once the onions begin the soften, add garlic, thyme and rosemary.
- Sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Sprinkle about a tbsp of flour, mixing in.
- Once mixed in, add wine.
- Reduce until alcohol has burned off and the reduction is thick enough to coat a spoon. Taste reduction to ensure alcohol has burned off.
- Spread reduction on each slice of bread.
- Add Gruyere.
- Butter the outside of each slice.
- Grill in a pan on medium heat until golden brown on each side.